This measurement is for biryani for four
1.25 kgs chicken
4 medium size onions
2 tbs curd
2 small tomatoes
3 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp biryani masala (I used MDH Biryani Masala)
2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp red chilly powder, 1 tsp kashmiri mirch
Whole garam masala (I used shah jeera, 2 cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1 bay leaf, few peppercorns, 1 star anise and 2 dried red chilies)
2 tbs ghee
3 cups basmati rice (I used India Gate basmati rice)
Coriander leaves (optional)
1.Heat 1 tbs oil in a pan. Add 1 thinly sliced onions and fry it till golden brown. Add 1 tsp sugar to it and fry for another 2 minutes. Sugar makes the onions crisp. Keep the fried onions aside.
2. Heat oil in the pan. Add whole garam masalas and let it splutter. Add the sliced onions and fry till it is golden brown and cooked. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for another 5-7 minutes.
3. Add chicken and sautee it for 2-3 mins, till the chicken turns white. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt, kashmiri mirch, and biryani masala. Sautee for 2-3 mins. Add curd and tomatoes. Let the chicken cook on low flame. Once the gravy is thick and the oil separates, add coriander leaves. It will take around 25 mins for the chicken to cook completely.
- Wash rice nicely and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2.5 cups of water in a pot and add the drained rice to it.
- Add salt and a pinch of sugar to it. Add ghee, star anise, and a few drops of kewra/rose water. You can add other whole spices too.
- Cook the rice on medium flame. Once there is little water left, turn off the burner and put the lid on. The rice should be 90% cooked.
- Let the rice cool off.
Layering Chicken Biryani
- Take a pan with a lid and add half the chicken to it. Layer the chicken with rice. Add fried onions on top of the layer. You can do the layering alternatively with rice and chicken, with fried onions in between every layer. Once the layering is done, cover it with the lid and put it on a hot tawa for 10 mins. Once done, allow the biryani to rest for at least 15 minutes. Chicken biryani is ready! 😀